The Law Office Of James R. Makin, P.C.
Board Certified in Criminal Law
Texas Board of Legal Specialization
1900 Broadway @ Third Street
Beaumont, Texas 77701
Phone (409) 833-2827
Fax (409) 832-4393
The Law Office of James R. Makin has successfully represented clients in every court in Southeast Texas for over 30 years. James is Board Certified in Criminal Law and specializes in Criminal Defense from Misdemeanors and Felonies in all Courts both State and Federal.
To quote James: "I believe the most important duty of a criminal Defense Attorney is to be a good communicator. You must be able to fully explain to the client, to negotiate with the prosecutor and most importantly, tell the client's story to a jury. Yes, you have to know the law, be prepared and fully see the total picture of all actions and consequences, but if you don't communicate, then it is all wasted. My staff and I place this communication as a number one priority."
James has been a Criminal Defense Attorney for over 30 years, and in his present location for 15 years. He has handled thousands of cases in State and Federal courts in Jefferson, Hardin, Orange, Chambers and Galveston counties.
James is a husband, father of four children and grandfather of ten. He was raised in Beaumont and is actively involved in the community.
- 1967 - Graduated Beaumont High School
- 1974 - BBA, Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
- 1977 - Juris Doctorate, University of Puget Sound Law School, Tacoma, Washington
- 2005 - DUI College, Harvard University
Areas of Practice
- All State and Federal Courts in Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals of the United States
- DWI / DUI
- Possession and Delivery of Controlled Substance
- Aggravated Assaults / Sexual Assaults
- Capital Murder / Murder
- All criminal matters
- Chairman of the Criminal Defense Attorneys Section, Jefferson County Bar Association (2006 - 2011)
- President of Southeast Texas Criminal Defense Attorneys (1994 - 2006)
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization Criminal law
- Director, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- TCDLA Strike Force District 13 (2005 - 2011)
- American Bar Association
- American College of Barristers
- State Bar of Texas
- Member of the State Bar of Texas standing committee on Pattern Jury Charges - Criminal (2011-2014)
- State Bar College
- The National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Jefferson County Bar Association
- Director 2013-2015, Jefferson County Bar Association
- National College For DUI Defense
- Certified NHTSA/IACP Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Lecturer on Cross-Examination at the Center for American and International Law seminar on Capital Trial Advocacy.
- Regular speaker at Lamar University for master degree class on Psychology for the last seven years regarding the role of the psychologist in criminal law.
- Mentor for other attorneys in jury selection and criminal defense.
- Featured panelist for a Death Penalty Open Forum Panel Discussion at Lamar University in Beaumont.
- Frequently contacted by local news stations and newspaper reporters to provide his professional opinion on matters of Criminal Law.
- State Bar Committee on Representation for Capital Defendants
- 2006 - Ceritfied in standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Member of the Better Business Bureau
- Member Beaumont Chamber of Commerce
- Member Community Justice Council, Jefferson County
- For the last sixteen years, James has donated his time dressed as Santa Claus for the Santa Run. He dresses in the Santa suit, wears the beard, distributes toys and many hugs to an average of 120 needy children all over the Southeast Texas area two days before Christmas.
- Elks Lodge
- Girl's Haven and Boy's Haven
- Cooks 2 Dozen
- Lifetime Member of Beaumont 100 Club
- Lighthouse Krewe
- Lifetime Member of NAACP
- Grandfather of 10